Soybean oil is a staple in U.S. homes; yet, awareness is low because it’s commonly labeled “vegetable oil” in grocery stores. Soybean oil boasts various health benefits, has a reliable supply and is often U.S.-grown. Lack of awareness and marketplace competition limit the expansion of U.S. soybean oil consumption.
The Secret to Driving Sales
A multifaceted labeling effort implemented by grocery retailers, vegetable oil bottlers and food brands to promote vegetable oil as 100% U.S. grown soybean oil on grocery store shelves across the nation.
Armed with research and successful sales data from previous phases of the campaign, MSL tackled the challenge by securing two strategic partnerships. Leveraging the significant influence of Hispanic audiences, the United Soybean Board collaborated with Goya Foods on a permanent “100% soybean oil” callout on its vegetable oil label. In addition, a dominant Midwest grocery retailer promoted its store brand vegetable oil as “U.S.-grown, 100% soybean oil” across more than 200 stores.
Activities included identifying retail experts to advise in determining key grocery retail/food manufacturer partnership opportunities, securing media placements featuring U.S. soybean farmers, and producing point-of-sale materials, digital and rich media assets, and in-store activations.
MSL also supported the long-term goal of encouraging retailers and oil bottlers to permanently change their vegetable oil label to “100% soybean oil,” and promote successful sales data that results in a domino effect of other retailers and manufacturers considering a relabel.
- Goya Foods saw a 22% increase in volume of vegetable oil shipments compared to the same period the year prior.
- The partnership with a large Midwest grocery retailer resulted in a more than 27% increase in unit sales of the store brand vegetable oil across all stores.
- Fifteen stores reported a greater than 100% increase – the highest was a 282% increase at an Iowa store.
- Silver Anvil – PRSA Silver Anvil Awards, Integrated Communications: B2B (2016)
- Honorable Mention (Runner Up) – PRWeek Awards, Multicultural Campaign of the Year (2016)
- Silver – American Business Awards (Stevie Awards) – Communications or PR Campaign of the Year, Multicultural (2016)
- Silver – American Business Awards (Stevie Awards) – Communications or PR Campaign of the Year, B2B Marketing (2016)
- Gold – International Business Awards (Stevie Awards) – Communications or PR Campaign of the Year, Multicultural (2016)
- Silver – International Business Awards (Stevie Awards) – Communications or PR Campaign of the Year, B2B Marketing (2016)
- Certificate of Excellence – PRSA Puget Sound Totem Award, Multicultural (2015)
- Runner Up – North American Excellence Awards, Food & Beverage Category (2015)