Navigating the Food Industry’s E-Commerce Shift
Takeaways from the Seattle Area Food & Beverage Marketers Group (SAFBM) panel on how to stay competitive as Amazon continues to make waves
The Seattle Area Food & Beverage Marketers Group (SAFBM), a quarterly gathering of industry professionals organized by MSL Seattle, hosted a panel discussion with local food and beverage thought leaders on the intersection of Amazon, e-commerce and the food industry.
Moderated by Steve Bryant, Managing Director of MSL Seattle, the panel included Emily Arthurs, Brand Manager for Sparkling Ice; Tamara Barnett, Vice President of Strategic Insights at The Hartman Group; and Nich Weinheimer, Marketing Director at Buy Box Experts.
The food and beverage industry is in the middle of a paradigm shift, check out key takeaways from the panel on how to stay competitive as Amazon continues to make waves:
- Leverage Amazon as a playground for experimentation. Brick and mortar retail stores lock brands into lengthy reset schedules, making it challenging to test new products. Brand should take advantage of Amazon’s plasticity to test innovative packaging and flavors.
- Discover endless nuggets of shopper insights from Amazon’s primary consumer data; a service Amazon plans on expanding for its online sellers.
- Rethink Amazon as an integral part of a larger digital strategy that works in tandem with store-front retail. Brands should experiment driving in-store packaging and experiences to the digital space.
- Ditch the plan to open up an office in Seattle. Instead, brands should clean up their existing distribution channels and create a solid strategic plan before partnering with Amazon.
- Collaborate with traditional retailers to develop creative in-store experiences. Brick and mortar stores are looking to offer engaging experience that customers can’t get in the digital space.
Listen to the full panel:
About Seattle Area Food & Beverage Marketers Group
Hosted by MSL Seattle, the Seattle Area Food & Beverage Marketers Group gathers quarterly for networking opportunities and discussions on food marketing trends and industry news. Let Steve Bryant know if you’d like to stay connected or refer colleagues to the opportunity.
About MSL’s Food, Beverage & Agriculture Team
The food and beverage specialists at MSL Seattle provide public relations and integrated communications as part of Publicis Groupe. Our mission is to create economic value for the world’s food, beverage and agriculture industry. MSL operates around the world, representing leading food and beverage brands, and manages a state-of-the-art Culinary & Nutrition Content Studio in Seattle.